October 8, 2008

An Introduction and Some Background


Nice to meet you all!

My name is A.C. Valdez. I am a freelance journalist living in the Washington, D.C. area. I have started this blog as a way of keeping track of my thoughts on religion news and religion issues.

To give you some idea where I'm coming from, I was born in L.A. and in the 90s, my family moved to the D.C. suburbs. I was raised Catholic, though I am no longer an observer. My father is a liberal Catholic. My mother (who is now deceased) was raised Catholic as well, gave up worship as an adult and eventually adopted the attitude that God wants very much for people to figure out how to live for themselves. I probably have Jewish ancestry somewhere back there. Though I have no better evidence of it, my father claims many Spanish Jews migrated to the New World due to persecution.

I have worked at PBS and NPR as well as in smaller media companies. And I really fell in love with religion as a "beat" while working at NPR. Religion or faith means so much to many people, and in such different ways. Unlocking that meaning is a fascinating process. And it probably goes back to my fascination as a kid with ancient Greco-Roman and Norse myths. I remember asking my dad one time why we believed what we did as I grew up and he just replied "Well, it's our mythology." So I studied Catholicism throughout high school. And I've loved learning about religion ever since.

Hopefully by reading this blog, and leaving comments, you'll be able to learn something new, and teach me a couple of things, too.

Photo: "Shrine To World Religions" by EtterVor
Used under a CC Attribution License

No comments: