March 8, 2010

Consume Carefully: A.C. buys a pair of jeans...maybe.

Though I regard this blog as a place to talk about religion, it's important to remember the reasons for religious beliefs and underlying practices which make us good humanists, Christians, Hindus, or otherwise. In that vein I submit the following:

Every once in a while I have to shop for clothes. It's a process I despise thoroughly because, more than my food-eating habits, it's something that I feel puts a lot of weight on my conscience. When you go to Wal-Mart or Target, it's pretty rare to pause to think about the hands that put together your $5/3 pair socks. But you should.

Long story short, sometime soon I want to buy some jeans. I want them to be kind of nice and don't mind paying a couple of extra bucks this time. That means (probably) buying new instead of going to a thrift store, which I do more often than buying new clothes. I seem to remember Levi's as a brand you could trust to be decent and non-exploitative of their workers, domestic or foreign. And what could be more American than a USA-made pair of jeans, produced by well compensated and satisfied factory workers? But I shop so rarely, I couldn't remember whether Levi's actually checked out.

So I sent their customer service department the following email:
I'd like to buy a pair of jeans in good conscience. Can you help me out by telling me who makes your jeans, domestic or imported, and what kind of labor standards Levis are made in accordance with? Do you subcontract with independent producers or do you directly supervise the production of your clothes? Where are they made?
I'm expecting a pretty standard response, assuring me that there are no sweatshops or other worker exploitation. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to do some checking of other kinds before taking Levi's word about. I'll post the company's response when I get it. And before I buy, I'll be telling you about what I'm reading on the company's history with sweatshops.

*P.S. If you're looking for some really good reading on this topic, I suggest you look to Naomi Klein's classic investigation of manufacturing and branding, No Logo.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

You know what would be useful is if Greenpeace, or someone, did a chart like this one (http://www.greenpeace.org/international/campaigns/toxics/electronics/how-the-companies-line-up) for clothing manufacturers.

A.C. Valdez said...

I've often wondered why there's not something like this for clothing manufacturers, not just on "green-ness" but also on worker treatment and sourcing.