May 8, 2010

Consume Carefully: Jeans, Part II


I'll bet you think I forgot to hunt for a new pair of jeans. Well, I've been taking time to do some research, and have been admittedly pretty busy. But first, my official response from the earlier note I sent Levi's about their jeans and sourcing:

Hi A.C.,

Lilia here from Levi's(R). Thanks for checking in with us.

Levi Strauss & Co. is an international company with offices and production facilities all over the world, including the USA. In order to remain competitive and ensure that consumers receive the best value, we do manufacture many of our products offshore. All of our manufacturing facilities worldwide comply with high quality production standards and sourcing guidelines.

For more information on our global sourcing guidelines, please check out our Social Responsibility and Sourcing Guidelines at our corporate website at
www.LeviStrauss.com.

Thanks again,

Lilia
Levi Strauss & Co.
Consumer Relations

My hunch is that this is probably some kind of doublespeak. It's only natural that Levi's would want to make themselves look responsible by directing me to their guidelines--something the average consumer is unlikely to take the time to read. I'm quite suspicious of policies that are non-governmentally enforced, and Harper's Magazine gave me some good reason to back up that suspicion. Please read Ken Silverstein's excellent investigative piece.

I also got a friendly reminder from careful consumption sage Reverend Billy, who was quick to point out that by not shopping for used clothes, I'm entering an economy that's by nature less sustainable, responsible, humane, and possibly a rip-off in the long run. To be continued...
photo by photos8.com




No comments: